Tuesday, March 10, 2009

VO2 Update and Neck Guidelines

The last two weeks I have not been as diligent with my exercises as I request my patients to be on a daily basis. For that I apologize to myself. I have heard the phrase: "do as I say, not as I do" uttered by too many a PT and I try to not fit in to this. So as soon as I finish this post I am off to workout my knee HARD! (cue inspirational music now)...

The results of not working out as much as I should have been showed up on my VO2 bike test today. We used a harder protocol of increasing the watts by 50 rather than 25 at each interval and I got up to about 360 watts before we finished although I had some left in the tank, just couldnt keep up the >50 rpm request with that much resistance and fatigue... so my VO2 went down about 4 points which could have more to do with testing error than me, or it could be the incredibly delicious albeit unhealthy food choices and poor exercise adherence I have been practicing...

And I leave you with the Neck Pain Clinical Guidelines I just finished reading. My main thought is "if you are a practicing PT who treats neck patients, you had better read this!" I like the utilization of the ICD-10 associations to create 4 neck pain categories
-mobility deficit
-headache
-movement coordination impairments
-radiating pain

I am looking forward to the updates they promise on the Orthopaedic Section of the APTA website... always something newer and better!

Now to workout!

No comments: