Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Inury and a New Beginning


Last Saturday I ran in my 3rd half-marathon of this year (and of my life - above pic is from the Urbanathlon)... I have been a bit distracted with all my job search/board prep amongst other things... I hadn't been running too much leading up to this half-mar because the Queens half-mar I ran left me with runner's toe, so I rested to try not to lose the toe nail...

So on Saturday I was running the race with my buddy Dan (in the midst of fireman training in DC aka he runs a lot). He had beaten me in the last two half-mars so I really wanted to get him in this one. I was running pretty well with him up to mile 12 (of 13.1), I had plenty of energy and know that I have more of a kick at the end than he does so I was smiling that I had him... and then just before mile 12 (at which point my time was 1:37) I felt a little twinge in my left calf, tried to fight through it but it started to feel like it was gonna rip off/cramp so I stopped and Dan took off...

I tried to stretch... tried to rub it down... I knew it wasn't a cramp but was hoping it was, because the alternative was a contractile tissue lesion aka something wrong with the muscle or tendon... I ended up trying to suck it up and jog out the last 1.1 miles but every push-off felt like it was gonna do much more damage so I walked the rest of the way, but did get a pseudo-jog going for the last few hundred feet since they had the cameras and all the crowd... couldn't just walk across the finish line... sad thing is my time was still better than the Queens one where I wasn't hurt, go figure... got ice on it as soon as I could, and then there was a long walk to the train and subway/bus ride home... I did not have my PT hat on for all this as much as I should have, but my reaction was to rest, ice, compress, elevate (RICE), gentle stretch, heel cushion to shorten the injured muscle.

Today was the first day I really went anywhere, it just so happened I was going to attend an in-service on kinesio taping (the tape that all the olympians had on in Beijing). So 3 other PT's conferred with me that it was in fact a posterior tib injury and I got a little heat and e-stim (which I am not a huge fan of but realize it has some benefits). We tried the kinesio-tape but it had minimal effect, albeit nothing about my injury is what kinesio-tape is really indicated for...

Funny thing is I had previously signed up for the Staten Island half-mar this coming Sunday which would be 8 days removed from this injury... I really want to do it so as to help qualify for next years NYC marathon but will not push it so as to make things worse...

The good news is I did get the job at STAR PT and will be accepting this position... yay!

No comments: